HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, November 21, 2016 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room
|Board of Directors|
|Emily Dong (on phone)||Past President|
|Jon Baker||PWO Representative|
|Sheryl Nojima (on phone)||National Delegate|
|Committee – Representatives|
|Audrey Haerle||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Lori Morikami||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Emily Dong (on phone)||Conference Co-Chair 2017|
|Martin Roush (on phone)||Reuse Co-Chair|
|Roger Babcock||Research Co-Chair|
|Greg Arakaki||Biosolids Co-Chair|
|Melissa Carmichael||Biosolids Co-Chair|
|Lance Manabe||At-Large National Delegate|
|Jayson Tasaka||Student Affairs Co-Chair|
|Brad Takenaka||Storm Water Co-Chair|
|PRESIDING: Staci Taniguchi|
|RECORDER: Roger Babcock|
Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order at 11:45 am by S Taniguchi.
Approval of October Meeting Minutes
- The minutes of the October 17, 2016 meeting were approved as amended.
A. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (Lee Mansfield/Kristie Ching/June Nakamura): no report
B. Board of Certification (Eassie Miller): no report
C. Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)
- Joint workshop with Stormwater and Safety in May 26 – Manoa Grand Ballroom, 8 speaking slots for each track, target 100 attendees
- Tour of Sand Island digester will be on December 10, 9am to noon. Will be posted on website and emailed out
D. Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): A meeting was held; working on setting a date and reservation at Ala Moana for the conference in early December 2017, roles and duties have been established for those working on this conference.
E. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee/Kapiolani Street):
- Will have a website committee meeting soon
- The new email system has been implemented
- Procedure is to send email blasts to Audrey and Staci
F. Conference Committee 2017 (Feb 14-16, Puna Kaneakua/Emily Dong):
- Registration is open
- Draft program is available on website
- Photo contest entries due Dec 9
- Contributions are accepted until end of December
- Exhibitor registration is open
- Golf tournament checks will be forwarded to Puna
G. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Phil Potter): no report
H. Laboratory (No chairs): Audrey will send out duties description to all
I. Membership (Joni Tanimoto): No report
J. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano): No report
K. Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):
- Two potential speakers suggested to the Board (HS Science project and human feces-sniffing dogs, see attached)
- Will help coordinate the Sand Island Digester tour
- Project WET (water education for teachers). Audrey took the teacher training. Waiting to hear from Kalani HS to do a STEM workshop there. BWS and DOH have representatives.
- Will consider PSAs for city busses, with sewer bills and/or other in next year’s budget
L. Research (Roger Babcock/Chad Morrow): no report
M. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko): no report
N. Student Affairs (Jayson Tasaka/Keith Miyashiro): Poster session – students will get free lunch both days, other events are for a fee. Student scholarship applications due Dec 30th. Will post both on website.
O. Stormwater (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka):
- May joint workshop - May 26th, 3 or 4 speakers are committed already. DOT Harbors will present, City has suggestions.
- Three presentation categories: Planning and Design, Stormwater Programs, Maintenance/Construction
P. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller):
- Conference is Dec 1-2, 2016.
- Have 60 registrants, need 20 more to break even. Have about $3,600 in donations.
- Two checks needed – one for hotel and one for lunches – Roger will be there
Q. Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi): No report
Board of Directors Reports
|Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock|
|Account Balances as of 10/31/2016|
|ML Conference Checking||$397,020.53|
|Bank of Hawaii||$9,818.98|
- Conference account will add Emily, Puna, and Sheryl. Take off all others (Shannon Hollman and Scott McAdam)
- Final numbers for luncheon: $2,550 income, $2038.50, net $511.50. Will send a check for 50% to CMAA.
·President Report: Staci Taniguchi
- Secretary/Treasurer duties versus WEF MA standard. Consider a treasurer that stays in the position for multiple years. A separate treasurer role would assist with tracking overall budget and expenses throughout the year to provide better oversight on the organization’s financial positions. Will involve reorganization. Staci will ask the Constitution/Bylaws committee members if they are interested in continuing.
·Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerle
- Next quarterly Luncheon – Wednesday January 11th or 12th at Hale Ikena or Pagoda – includes election of officers, need a wastewater topic.
- Will draft a committee oversight spreadsheet
·Federation Matters: Delegate, Sheryl Nojima
- Working on strategic planning
- HWEA needs to take a look at the Bylaws
·PWO Matters: Jon Baker
- Sign-ups for ops challenge is posted
·Past President: Emily Dong
- No report
- December 19st 11:30am
Meeting adjourned at 1:27 PM.