HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, September 19, 2016 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room
|PRESIDING: Staci Taniguchi|
|RECORDER: Roger Babcock|
Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order at 11:44 am by S Taniguchi.
Approval of August Meeting Minutes
- The minutes of the August 15, 2016 meeting were approved.
A. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (Lee Mansfield/Kristie Ching/June Nakamura): Sheryl Nojima and Lance Manabe will discuss the existing HWEA Strategic Plan at WEFTEC as part of a workshop.
B. Board of Certification (Eassie Miller): no report
C. Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)
- Looking to do a tour of Sand Island digester in November/December
- • Planning a joint workshop with Stormwater for May
D. Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): no report
E. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee/Kapiolani Street):
- The new email system has been implemented
F. Conference Committee 2017 (Puna Kaneakua/Emily Dong):
- MOU with AWWA was finalized and signed by the board
- Website is on-line
- Call for abstracts came out on August 5th
- Exhibitor registration will open on September 26th
- A reimbursement guideline/deadline document will be created
- They are looking for someone to set-up a preconference track for operations (Wayne Salas will help)
G. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Phil Potter): Phil Potter has replaced Walter Billingsley.
H. Laboratory (No chairs): Jon is talking to the lab technician at Kailua WWTP
I. Membership (Joni Tanimoto):
- Audrey will learn more about membership reports at WEFTEC next week
J. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano):
- No report
K. Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):
- No report
L. Research (Roger Babcock/Chad Morrow): no report
M. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko): Working on putting on a safety seminar on a yet-to-be-defined topic possibly in conjunction with Biosolids and Stormwater in May
N. Student Affairs (Jayson Tasaka/Keith Miyashiro): Jayson Tasaka has replaced Mindy Yoneshige as co-chair
O. Stormwater (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka):
- Met in August to find a theme for the May workshop
P. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller): No report
Q. Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi):
- Aug 12 – had a Tileco facility tour
- Aug 20 – conducted community service at Mokauea Island
- Pre-conference – considering a panel discussion on different areas that people work and/or public outreach
Board of Directors Reports
|Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock|
|Account Balances as of 8/31/2016|
|ML Conference Checking||$316,662.01|
|Bank of Hawaii||$3,922.24|
- Roger will work with Taryn to create a new category for “payment to AWWA for conference”
- Roger will ask Taryn to transfer $15,000 from conference account to checking to cover WEFTEC reimbursements for PWO, Audrey, Sheryl and Lance.
- Taryn will continue as HWEA bookkeeper – Roger will ask her to tell the person recruited that she is not needed.
• President Report: Staci Taniguchi
- AWWA/HWEA conference MOU – has been signed
- WEFTEC – several folks will attend the award ceremony and MA day.
• Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerle
- Quarterly luncheon – October 5 at Hale Ikena and will be a joint meeting with CMAA o New email system has been implemented
• Federation Matters: Delegate, Lance Manabe
- Lance has been selected as At-Large Delegate which will start at WEFTEC 2016, Term is 2016 - 2019
- New Hawaii delegate Sheryl Nojima will start in October at WEFTEC 2016. Term is 2016-2019
• PWO Matters: Jon Baker
- Four PWO members will attend WEFTEC to participate in Operations Challenge
• Past President: Emily Dong
- No report
- October 17th 11:30am
Meeting adjourned at 12:45 PM.